Many people think that their MP can solve all their concerns. This is not the case and there are instances where contacting an MP may result in a query taking longer to resolve if the issue in question is not their responsibility. MPs can only help with those matters for which Parliament or central government are responsible. Clearly, Angie can sometimes add her voice to support legitimate complaints (for example when council officers or councillors have not followed proper procedure, or have behaved in an unreasonable manner), but ultimately, matters concerning local authorities are usually better dealt with by the local authority itself.

Your local council

For many matters, (for example if it is connected with local planning, the day to day running of schools, refuse collection, housing repairs, parking, anti-social behaviour or public lavatories) the most appropriate first step is to contact your local councillor.

You can find the contact details for your local councillor.

MPs are also unable to settle private disputes with neighbours or employers and cannot help in family arguments. They are also unable to interfere with decisions made in court or offer legal advice.

Central government policies

If your concern is not local in nature and concerns central government policies (such as the National Health Service, HM Revenue and Customs - who collect the bulk of tax and pay child benefit and tax credits, and the Department of Work and Pensions who deal with issues such as benefits, pensions and national insurance) then you should contact your MP.
Your MP can help you with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, such as:

Tax queries involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department. Issues dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance. Issues dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration. Issues dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS). Issues dealt with by the Department for Education, such as academy status and educational grants.

How does my MP deal with my problem?

Angie could:

write a letter to the relevant department or official; write a letter to the Minister involved; attempt to ascertain the reasons behind decisions; appeal on behalf of an individual or community; speak to relevant authorities on your behalf.

Many problems (but not all) can be solved in this way. In some instances, the Minister may not be able to give the answer that you want to hear. They should still be able to clarify the situation and confirm that the correct procedure was used when making any decision.

If you feel there has been unnecessary delay or maladministration, Angie may be able to take your case to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can only be approached through Angie; you cannot approach that office directly. The Health Service Ombudsman can provide similar help where the problem involves the NHS.



Angie and her team are helping to clear up 'grotty' areas of the constituency. If you have a corner in your neighbourhood  that could do with a spring clean.

Angie's maiden speech

Click here to see Angie's maiden speech


As well as being the MP for Ealing Central and Acton, Angie is the Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Minister for the Cabinet Office and Paymaster General, The Rt Hon Francis Maude MP. She is assisting the Cabinet Office team with a number of Bills as they look to secure their passage through Parliament.